Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Tree Blocks


I'm FINALLY posting about the finished tree blocks! I didn't want to post without a picture, and I didn't have the blocks since I'd left them at my mom's house after Christmas. She brought them back today (along with TONS of other stuff), and we've had lots of fun with them. I think my mom and I may like them more than O does! They were simple to make, but took more time than I expected (that seems to be the way almost all homemade things go!). It didn't take too long to cut them, but sanding was a different story. I sanded them using an electric sander, and I sanded the ends and the edges. Then I vacuumed each of them to try to get as much dust and dirt off as possible. The last step was oiling the blocks with organic flax oil. This also took a while, but my mom pitched in to help me finish in time for Christmas. I made 4 sets which was a little much to make at one time, and none of the sets are very big. I need to add some longer pieces, but I ran out of wood. I'm sending the word out to my family that next time anyone cuts any trees or limbs to save them for me!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I missed this post before! I've been making some of these blocks this year. My brother cut them for me. Now I just need to sand and coat. I bought some stuff from Lowe's that is used for butcher blocks, and is safe for kids' toys. I didn't think of flax oil. I have a huge bottle that I've been trying to feed Abigail, and she can only eat so much so quickly!

    ReplyDelete