Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I Spy Matching Game

I bought this I Spy Preschool Game for my 3 year old niece for Christmas, and she really enjoyed it for about a week. By then she had it memorized, and it no longer offered a challenge. Since O loves to match, I thought I'd try it with her. I suspected that she was too young to do the game since its for ages 3 to 6 years, but I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try. I put out 3 cards and handed her a matching card one at a time. The first time we did it she got all of them right, and I was very surprised. Today we did the game again, and she barely looked at the cards and she didn't match any of them correctly. She obviously wasn't into it. Then she decided that Niney (Tiny) wanted to match. She held Niney's hand and had her match the cards. Niney matched them all correctly! It was so funny. O LOVES Niney, and she goes with us everywhere!

4 comments:

  1. I never take any notice of the age things on the labels, I found that often they put not suitable for under threes because it has small parts - but then a three year old would be bored silly with it. I think a parents judgement is the best way to go, babyebi has a 45 piece jigsaw which is 3-5years old but he can already do it. He alos gets his 'koala' to help him with puzzles etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Almost everything has 3 and over, and its probably for liablility reasons. This game was clearly too easy for a bright 3 year old, and its perfect for my 21month old! That's cool that babyebi can do a 45 piece puzzle. How old is he? I suspect that he is quite gifted :) And I should know since I administer IQ tests for a living :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He will be 3 at the end of July. My mom thinks we should get him tested, I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it though, is there any advantage to having kids tested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how things work in Japan, but there is no advantage (that I know of) to having a bright child tested at his age. If he was delayed there would definitely be an advantage, but I don't test gifted kids until around age 7. Of course, things are different in every state (or country), so it just depends on what's offered where you are. Also, IQ isn't stable until around age 6. He's obviously extremely bright. An evaluation would just confirm what you already know :)

    ReplyDelete