Chasing Cheerios

Monday, March 30, 2009

Learning about Muscles, Bones, etc.




Elliott bought this human anatomy flip chart book years and years ago for our future children, and I'm so glad that he did! I found it this weekend buried on a shelf in the top of O's closet, and we looked at the pictures while working on her beleduc body puzzle. We matched the puzzle pieces to the pictures and discussed the names of different muscles and bones. O was especially interested in talking about biceps, and she showed me how strong she was by flexing her muscles :)




 
 
O was THRILLED when she turned the page on the flip chart and discovered the pictures of the baby in the belly! While looking at the tiniest picture, I reminded her that we always tell her that she started off smaller than a lentil (when we tell her birth story, which is something we do almost nightly), and that there was a picture of a baby who was smaller than a lentil. She ran to get a lentil to compare it to the picture, and sure enough, the baby was smaller!




After discusing the pictures and completing the puzzle, O laid down on 2 sheets of paper (taped together) and I traced her. She then had fun coloring her picure. This activity is in almost every toddler activity book that I have seen, and I was so glad to finally do it with O. It was surprisingly difficult to find a big, blank paper book (most of the big books I found were coloring books).



9 comments:

  1. how cute. My kids love the body tracing activity too. We found our roll of paper at an art store. I love your baby story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What great supplies for teaching about the body. Not just the chart, but the puzzle too. I'd love to know where the puzzle came from.
    My boys won't let me trace around them yet, but they did like seeing some friends get traced with chalk outside. (They colored their bodies in though - no weird body outlines stayed on my driveway!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lettie- The puzzle came from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Beleduc-Your-Body-5-Layer-Wooden/dp/B000ELYJFC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1238774178&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did something similar a while back with the World Encyclopedia(It has a flip chart on the human body.).

    We buy easel paper from IKEA. Pretty cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Oh! For cheap HUGE rolls of paper, call your local newspaper for an end roll. The paper in the nearest town is actually printed in the nearest "city" so I had to go a bit farther, but it was only a few bucks and SO worth the money. Reminds me I need to pick up a few more! The Simple Dollar had a post a few months ago about all the things that one could do with an end roll - the possibilities are limitless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lenetta beat me to my comment. Our local newspaper gives away ends of rolls for free, you just have to call and ask if they have any available. (They almost always do) The rolls are also great for packing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that flip chart. What is the name of it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to get the ends of newspaper rolls. We'll have to check into that.

    Jo- The chart is called The Incredible Human Body Flip Chart, and it is made by Kohwai and Young Publications.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day of activities! Happy Birthday to you Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete