Chasing Cheerios

Friday, March 27, 2009

Rainbow Blocks


O's grandparents gave her this set of Rainbow Blocks for Christmas, and we were very excited about all of the creative building opportunities they would provide. The set consist of 24 blocks- 8 sand blocks, 8 bead blocks, and 8 rainbow blocks.

When I opened the box, I immediately noticed that 2 of the rainbow blocks were cracked in the middle. Soon after this discovery, O was playing with the blocks when one of them dropped...it broke. I was VERY surprised since it didn't drop far. A couple of days later, another block broke (the wooden frame broke off of the plastic middle. I think it can easily be fixed with a little wood glue.) We told O not to include these blocks when she builds her tall towers as they will surely break when she knocks the towers over.

I emailed the company about the flaws in the blocks requesting a full refund or replacement blocks. I was surprised when they emailed me back within 2 hours promising a full refund. In the email the customer service representative stated that my blocks must have come from a faulty batch, and the blocks were usually more durable and without flaws. They sent the refund immediately after I emailed my address.

We've had a great time playing with these blocks, and they work well with O's traditional set of unit blocks. However, I doubt I would buy them again knowing what I know about their quality and durability. I guess I shouldn't complain since they sent us a full refund. They definitely have great customer service!

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear out about your blocks. I have no affiliation with the company that makes them so I wanted to speak up. We have two boys who have loved them for three years with no trouble. We also have the set with colored water and colored sand. They are such a wonderful variation of the basic wooden blocks I enjoyed as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been interested in those blocks for a while. It's too bad that they don't hold up as well, especially since children are going to really put a lot of wear and tear on them. It's great that they are refunding you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Airlia et al- Thanks for your comment! I'm so glad to hear that! I felt bad giving them a semi bad review, but I had to be honest. We really do enjoy them, but they definitely aren't durable. I guess we really did get a bad batch :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us know how the replacement blocks are. I was looking at these online and considering them for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plan Toys also makes a set almost identical to the one you have, but are a very high quality toy.

    I first discovered Plan Toys through my 7 year old autistic nephew. He has the blocks that you have, and another set that are created especially for autistic children (But which I plan to buy for my nonautistic son) in which each block and each side has a different texture.

    I'd encourage you to check it out if you haven't already.

    - Vanessa

    ReplyDelete