Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bendaroos

A reader sent us a pack of Bendaroos to play with and then review a few weeks ago, and we've been playing with them ever since!

The set comes with over 500 pieces of wax coated strings (very similar to wikki stix) that can be used for open ended, creative play. A design booklet comes with the set, but I found the designs in the booklet to be frustrating and difficult to replicate. Obviously, they were impossible for O to replicate (since she's only 33 months old!), and she was not at all interested in even looking at the booklet. She loves to make abstract sculptures and shapes. In this picture, she is making a "flower."




O was THRILLED when I suggested using the bendaroos in conjunction with her sandpaper letters, and she immediately chose the blue pack of bendaroos (blue is her favorite color).




We also decided to make even more letters and shapes with the bendaroos using her pipe cleaner letters. This kept us occupied for a while!




O also LOVED cutting the bendaroos with her scissors. The bendaroos are definitely going to make learning letters, words, and shapes more fun. I also think they are great for making 2d pictures and abstract 3d sculptures. However, we will skip the design booklet ideas :)

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've commented on your blog before, but I have gotten a lot of good ideas for my almost 3 year old from here. The lentil tray is one of her favorites. I'm new to doing all of these things and so I have so many ideas that I want to do at once. This is one of them that I've been looking forward to doing with her. It's a good idea to lay them on the cards. I will have to try that out. Thanks for posting about all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have you huge box too they are great till they get smashed in your carpet and sucked up your vaccumm :)

    we love them though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the Bendaroos. My daughter got them for Christmas. She loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are the bendaroos different from the pipe cleaners?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah- Bendaroos are a little sticky, so you can stick them together and shape them a little differently than you can pipe cleaners. They are also thinner and a different texture. It's just a different experience :) but pipe cleaners are MUCH less expensive :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. my jacob got them for easter him and little sister love them.
    great toy. I too love this blog
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a new follower. I am an in-home child care provider and teacher w/masters' degree. I am very excited to stumble upon your blog and I look forward to your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete