Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter & Ritz Sandwich Cookies


O, E, Elliott, and I made chocolate covered peanut butter & Ritz sandwich cookies for Elliott's work friends. This was a fun family activity! I was glad that Elliott participated since it was fun to see him and O working together...they are SO much alike! After spreading peanut butter on 1 cracker, O asked "Can I lick my knife now?" They were both so excited whenever a cracker broke, and they devoured them like they were starving. I'm fairly certain that sneaky little O broke a few crackers on purpose :)

When we started this activity, E was watching us from her bouncy seat. That did not suit her AT all since she likes to be involved in all of our activities. I put her in the sling (after O tried the sling out...she STILL fits, which is absolutely thrilling for her!), and she was perfectly content. E is not a baby who will tolerate being left on the sidelines!

To make the cookies we spread peanut butter on Ritz crackers and topped them with another Ritz to make a sandwich. We melted Wilton's meltable chocolate in the microwave and dropped each peanut butter cracker sandwich into the melted chocolate. We used O's chopsticks to remove the cookies from the chocolate and placed them on an unfolded cereal bag (instead of waxed paper) to dry and harden. This was fun and simple, but not so fast since it took quite a while for the cookies to dry and harden (and we only had one cereal bag on which to place them).

4 comments:

  1. This is one of our Christmas treats as well. However, this year we tried them with almond bark instead of chocolate, and I think I like those even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My five-year-old still fits in our sling, and she is still thrilled by that, too!

    I insist on keeping an old sling and an old mei tai in the top of the hall closet, even though our girls are big girls now, just in case there's ever some sort of emergency and we have to evacuate on foot in a crowd or something. My husband says I've watched too many disaster movies, and this is true, but it still makes me feel better to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made these too. It's amazing such simple ingredients make for such a delicious treat! They work as favors for a party or shower too when topped with sprinkles or drizzled with chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband has been begging for these. Instead we dipped Ritz into melted mint chocolate chips and sprinkled crushed candy canes on top. Crushing candy canes with a rolling pin in a zip-lock bag is so fun! Also, I sprang for a silpat mat a few years ago and love it for a non-stick reusable surface.

    ReplyDelete