Chasing Cheerios

Friday, February 19, 2010

Texture Board Memory Game


O and I had fun playing memory with her texture boards this week. We felt them before turning them over to see if we had matches, and then we turned them over to see if we were right. I had no intention of saying who won because I try to de-emphasize competition. However, O had other plans. She immediately started counting the boards to see who won after we finished the game. She had 10 boards, and I had 8 so she determined that she had more, so she won. I decided to turn this into an impromptu math lesson, so I asked her how many more she had. She didn't know, so we lined the boards up in 2 rows with hers on the top and mine on the bottom. I showed her how her line of boards was longer by 2 boards, so 10 was 2 more than 8. It was still a little over her 3 and a half year old head, but it was a good introduction to higher level math skills :)

6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. When it gets too easy for her maybe you could put them in a box with a slit in it so she would just have to use her sense of touch. Remember when we were kids and we had to guess what the object were just by touch...it was always scary for me, but it may be fun to figure out what's on the blocks? I need to try this with my girls.
    Sippy Cup Mom, Karen
    http://sippycupcentralmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I need to make some of those! Great idea! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love some of the ideas I get from your blog. So many of these learning lessons can be handmade and that just makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete