Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spring Felt Crown


This Spring felt crown is my favorite handmade Easter gift for this year! O loved it, and I was surprised by how easy it was to make.

To make the crown, I cut a crown pattern out of paper. I laid it on a piece of wool blend felt and traced around the paper with disappearing ink. I cut 2 identical pieces from the wool felt, and then sewed the pieces together using a blanket stitch. (This is only my 2nd time doing the blanket stitch, so it doesn't look great, and I had to start over a couple of times). I left openings for the elastic at the base of the crown. After stitching around the crown, I cut the elastic to the appropriate size, pinned it into the holes left on the crown, and did a straight stitch to hold it in place. I made the felt flower from a Martha Stewart felt flower barrette kit and glued it to the front of the crown.

I'm pretty proud of how this crown turned out, especially since I did all of the sewing in a dark room in the middle of the night:)

5 comments:

  1. I love the crown! I am trying to picture what you were talking about in regards to the elastic... did it go all the way around the crown?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful crown! Well done! I made one for my son for his 3rd birthday, but, sadly, he wouldn't wear it. :(

    Mari-Ann
    Counting Coconuts

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crown looks adorable! I might just have to make one for my daughter. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your ideas! I will have to try some!

    ReplyDelete