Chasing Cheerios

Friday, October 29, 2010

Making Caramel Apples

O and I had a great time making caramel apples for her Halloween party at school.  To make the caramel apples, we bought 2 14oz bags of caramels.  We removed the wrappers and put them in the crockpot along with a fourth cup of water.  We turned it on high and in about an hour and a half, the caramel was melted. 

O and I stuck the popsickle sticks into the apples.  I dipped the apples in the caramel, and O rolled them in sprinkles.  We put them on buttered (and flattened) cereal bags (instead of waxed paper) to cool. 



I put them in glass containers covered with saran wrap overnight, and when I checked them Thursday morning I noticed that I could see a lot of apple and not a lot of caramel.  I was in a hurry to go to work, so I didn't think much of it until a few hours later when it suddenly occurred to me that I should have refrigerated the apples overnight.  I called my mom, and she confirmed that the caramel had slid off of all of the apples.  Oops!  We'll be taking grapes and sliced apples for O's party!

2 comments:

  1. :) Thank you for sharing not only the projects that turn out great, but the learning experiences too. That sounds like something I would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! All that hard work, but sounds like you made the most of it! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

    ReplyDelete