Chasing Cheerios

Monday, November 8, 2010

Acorn Stew



O enjoys using her outdoor mortar and pestle (bought a couple of years ago from a yard sale) to grind acorns to make acorn stew!  Yummy! 
When she moved the mortar and pestle, there was a baby snake sleeping under it.  I briefly contemplated trying to catch it, but O was not at all interested and the snake slithered away quickly. 


Does anyone know what kind of snake this is?  I know very little about snakes, but I tried to get a close look at his eyes and head shape to see if he was poisonous, and I don't think he was.  However, I could be wrong...he moved quickly, and I was a little nervous :)

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the australian children's book favorite "Wombat Stew" (Wombat stew, wombat stew, ooey gooey yummy chewy womabat stew)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity. My son would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aargh the snake would have fright me too!
    I gave you an award!
    http://lilytots.blogspot.com/2010/11/award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so brave to even contemplate catching that thing! I have a friend from high school who is a herpetologist. If you email the pic. I'll pass it along and ask. P.S. Acorn stew looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete