Chasing Cheerios

Friday, July 22, 2011

Laura Ingalls Wilder Monthly Subscription Packet


For O's 5th birthday, I gave her a monthly "subscription" to a "Laura Ingalls Wilder Packet." I've been planning this for months, and I am so excited about it! Luckily, O is excited, too!

In her first packet, she received a letter from Laura (typed in "old time" type and printed on beige paper so it would look older), a picture of Laura and her sisters, My First Little House Laura's 5th Birthday book, the Little House on the Prairie pilot dvd (this was the perfect gift since I gave it to her the day before a 12 hour road trip!), "old time" crayons, and "old time" candy (both from Cracker Barrel).

Each month she will receive a letter from Laura, a Little House book, a craft, and some other type of old time trinket or candy. I'm hoping to find more pics of Laura to print since it would be fun to include a different picture of Laura with each packet. It's going to be so much fun to put these packets together each month! Maybe even more fun than the monthly fun boxes, which are one of the BEST gifts I've ever given the girls.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a wonderful idea! Are you making the letters yourself or are you copying her works? Its a great idea! I may have to steal it if I could find the inspiration to write the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm writing the letters myself, but I'm writing as Laura. So, I'm including some stories about things she did, and I'll probably use some quotes from the book. I'm putting a heavy emphasis on how Laura loved her sisters and loved to help her ma and pa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can find some of her teaching pictures. The few I've seen all have a child nearly as tall as tiny Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, this is great!!!! O will love this so much!!! You are so creative. :) We have been reading the series as well and A has loved all of them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to share this with a friend who loves the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative, indeed! Maybe you should market this...hehe.

    It won't help with childhood pictures, but The Little House Traveler has many, many adult pictures.

    I wrote a review here. I don't recommend it for children, but if you are also a big LIW fan, go for it! You'll love it! http://livelearnlove226.blogspot.com/2011/07/little-house-traveler-by-laura-ingals.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. my daughter is passionate about Laura - we just bought two biographies and her letters. This, however, is an even better idea. I love it! (You should market it on Etsy!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolutely wonderful idea! I have enjoyed the "Camp Laura"series. I need to think of a fun idea like this for my son, who was 5 last month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredible great idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea!! My oldest would love something similar. I especially like the idea of a once a monthly gift life this... it gives them something to look forward to. You've got the ideas spinning in my head!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An online store similar to the cracker barrel is vermontcountrystore.com. They sell "old time" night gowns as well as candy from the 1800s. I am a die harder lover of Little House on the prairie myself and am excited to start reading the books to my three year old.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, if you decide to sell these let me know, I am definitely a customer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each homesite has great postcards available for sale. They also sell nice pamphlets and booklets.

    ReplyDelete