Chasing Cheerios

Monday, October 3, 2011

Rainbow Rice for Our Rice Pit

The girls and I dyed our rice in rainbow colors for our rice pit on Saturday! This was so easy to do that I don't know why I didn't do it years ago (seriously, this has been on my to-do list for at least 3 years!).

First, I put 3 cups of white rice in each ziploc bag.

Then, the girls took turns choosing a color of food coloring and then squeezing the coloring into the bag of rice. We added 4 tsp of rubbing alcohol, sealed the bag, and they squished and squeezed and shook the bags until the rice was completely covered in color!

Here are our bags of beautiful rice!



I poured the rice from each bag out onto packing paper to dry. We let it dry for about 5 hours before pouring it into the rice pit.

Here it is right after I poured it into the rice pit...it looks so pretty!


It didn't take long for my little monkeys to mix it together completely! They LOVE the rainbow rice!

1 comment:

  1. I think I've decided once and for all that the sand in the sandbox has got to go. Rainbow rice seems like such a pleasant alternative! :-)

    ReplyDelete