Chasing Cheerios

Saturday, March 3, 2012

So, We're Basically On Hold...

We are again playing the waiting game.  The next appt with another neurologist isn't until March 20.  After that appt, we'll make the final decision as to where Elliott will have the tumor removed.  Hopefully, we'll schedule it during the first or second week of April.

We are already so changed by this...I hope the changes will only be for the better.  Little annoying things no longer matter...for example, my tumble down the stairs and badly sprained ankle made us laugh a lot whereas 2 weeks ago, it probably would have been a big deal and a stressor.  Today we came really close to running out of gas, but we weren't at all bothered.  We just pictured ourselves out pushing the car in the pouring rain while 5 year old O steered us into a ditch and thought it was really funny.

The girls and I are making videos for Elliott to have to watch while he is in the hospital, and O chose to sing "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" and E sang "Rain, Rain, Go Away."  We're also planning to buy him a fun gift. O and I both (independently) came up with the idea to buy a remote control boat to use on the lake.  O is really excited about all of these plans, and we've also worked on getting her excited about seeing Daddy bald!

Elliott has long hair and always has, so it's going to be strange to see him with little to no hair.  We're going to get it cut a couple of weeks before the surgery, so that the girls have time to get used to it before the surgery.  Also, I told him yesterday that I want to do one last photo shoot of him with hair and the girls :)

Thank you for all of the support via this blog.  It really has been amazing.  I have read each and every comment and email, and everyone of them helps me get through the long minutes, hours, and days.  Thank you.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, I am so sorry that all of this is happening - but so happy to hear that you are keeping a good sense of humor about it all.
    I wish I lived closer because I would be there in a New York Minute and do a free session for your family. It would be so fun!!!!
    Continued prayers for all of you and glad for the updates so I know how to pray. Many blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're trying to keep a good sense of humor...it's either that or completely fall apart and that's not an option. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Melissa,

    I was having problems with my computer so I couldn't leave a message before. I wanted to let you know my sister had to undergo a brain surgery because of a tumor four years ago and thanks God she's fine again. I know how you may feel, all your family will be in our prayers. maria elena from Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family has been praying for your husband every night and will continue to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have kind of been through the same thing. I was diagnosed last Feb with breast cancer while nursing my 3 month old baby. Surgery, chemo, and radiation. Our kiddos are now 5, 3, and 16 mo. God has been so good to insulate them from fear and give us peace and comfort. I'll be praying for your fam and looking here for updates. Hang in there. Smile a lot for your kiddos. Ange

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, I know...I keep commenting...but I can't help it. I just want you to know that I haven't forgotten about you and your family and I am praying. I check your blog regularly and have for a couple of years. I feel like I "know" you...even though you have no idea who I am.
    God can do amazing things...I am believing for that for your husband! I am encouraged that you are allowing God to use this for good in your life and you are realizing what truly matters in life. I wish we all lived like that all the time (including myself!).
    I wanted to share a story with you...My sweet BIL also had a brain tumor a few years back and had to have surgery. He is fine now...but when it was all happening...it was tough. One thing that encouraged us was a test he had done. He ended up having his surgery at the Cleveland Clinic...and before the surgery he had to go and stay for several days to get a bunch of tests done. His mom went with him and stayed in his room. The tests were done to induce seizures...that were caused by his brain tumor. They would monitor him until a seizure happened then run into the room and ask him questions during his seizure. His mom was with him the whole time. During one of his seizures he told his mom that Jesus was sitting next to him on the bed...and he started to pray in the middle of the seizure. The nurses didn't know what to think about it...lol...but David could see Jesus clear as day and knew He was with him. That really helped my MIL have peace during it all...and he is now completely healed from it all now. I hope this encourages you to know that God is with Elliot...and will be... every step of the way. It will be okay friend. Hugs and prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mucha fuerza para uds. esto es parte de una renovacion y se que saldran adelante. Los tengo en mis oraciones, seguimos por aqui por Elliot. abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. will be keeping you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending more hugs ... I hope you keep finding solace & community through your blog during this difficult time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Melissa, when I read the second week of April all I could think was "What a long, long wait". My heart goes out to you. I've been praying for you and your family every day and I'll continue to do so, long after this has ended and you are on the road back to "normal" - and you will get there. You have been inspiring me as a mother for the last year that I've been following your blog and you're inspiring me now more than ever with your incredible attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today I was coming here for inspiration on activities for my toddler and I am saddened to see what you are currently going thru. Your strenght as a family is indeed inspiration of a different sort. Having gone thru a health scare of my own last year, I know what you mean when you say the little challenges no longer matter. It is so clear what the important things in life are in situations like these. I hope for the best possible outcome for your family and send you positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Melissa,I'm behind on my blog reading and am only now hearing this news. I am so sorry to hear what you and your family are going through, and I will keep you all in my prayers in the days ahead. You have been a real blessing in my life, and I am so grateful! I will be praying for healing and peace for your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm along time reader, first time commentor. I just wanted to let you know that I am inspired by your sense of humour during this difficult time. I am sending many, many prayers and well wishes your way to help you through. I'll be thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your family continues to be in my prayers. May God give you and your family comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Came to visit the felt sugar cookie post and stayed to offer prayers

    ReplyDelete