Chasing Cheerios

Friday, March 19, 2010

Petals & Leaves Necklace


O and I were thrilled that all of Guh-guh and Grandpa's camelias were in bloom when we were at their house this week. I thought it would be fun to make a simple necklace using the petals and leaves.

O pulled the petals off the flowers while I threaded a blunt needle with yarn. I tied a knot on the needle so that the yarn wouldn't slip off of the needle, and then I showed O how to thread the petals and leaves onto the yarn. She was a little frustrated after her first few attempts because she was pulling on the petals too hard and the yarn was tearing through the sides of the petals. After I showed her how to be very gentle and slowly slide the petals down the yarn, she was successful. She enjoyed making a "patterin" of leaves and petals, and I was proud that she persisted in this task (she wanted to quit at first when the petals kept tearing).

After she finished her necklace, she asked me to make a ring of petals on yarn to put on her hair bun. It looked so pretty...I wish I'd taken a picture :(

6 comments:

  1. Lovely idea, spring is in the air! Karen Sippy Cup Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this idea! I wish I had flowers blooming here to work with. It's still a little cold yet here, but the last of the snow is melting. I'll have to keep this in mind for when those first flowers show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! I hope we'll have flowers blooming soon and we can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome cool! We'll DEF be doing that all spring and summer.

    Don't be afraid to move O up to a sharp needle when you need it for projects--it's a Montessori thing, the same as using glass pitchers and china plates and real hammers and saws, etc.

    ReplyDelete