Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Paint Chips Word Family Game


The idea for this great word family game came from The Snail's Trail.

I wasn't sure if O was ready for this game, but she recently started covering up parts of words while we were reading and asking what the words were. She LOVES doing this, so I thought this word family game would be fun for her. I was happy to see that I was right! O LOVES this game. She has read more than a hundred words, and thoroughly enjoys herself. She's been obsessed with rhyming words for close to a year, so that makes this game even more perfect for her. Check out The Snail's Trail for directions and a list of word families.

15 comments:

  1. What a fun activity. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this before, but forgot all about it! Thanks for the reminder. My son is getting to the right age for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think this is an awesome idea...have you seen the book "one boy" by laura vacarro seager? it is this concept. --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a suggestion for those who want to try this project and need a lot of paint chips - most paint stores/departments sell a "fan-dex" of paint chips for cheap - you can buy an entire sample of a paint line - hundreds of chips - for $5-$10. It avoids you feel like you are "stealing" when you take lots of paint chips with no intention of buying paint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this idea! My little one is learning to read with phonics system. This will be a fun activity for him. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little one is at just the right stage for this too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you put them on the rings! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you get your squares so perfect?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No way! Where did you get your paint chips from?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found this post through Pinterest. Unfortunately, the link to "The Snail's Trail" won't work unless you are an invited reader. =(
    Would really like to see the tutorial on this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Just Jessi. Can anyone invite us to the link? I would love to see her blog and the original idea! Such a great one! Definitely going to do this for my kids!

    ReplyDelete