Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Painting with Marbles

The idea for this painting activity came from Wondertime magazine. We put a piece of paper in the bottom of a shoe box, put a few drops of paint into small containers, dropped marbles into the containers, rolled the marbles around to cover them with paint, dropped the marbles into the shoe box, and shook the box around to make art! It was super easy, not very messy, and tons of fun!
O is dropping the marble into the shoe box.
Shaking the box.
The finished products- we were quite proud!
Next time I'll use a smaller shoebox that doesn't have an attached lid, so it will be easier for O to manage. This was another activity in which O was very closely supervised, so that the paint covered marble did not end up in her mouth.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't this fun?! I've done this with my Toddler Art & Play class and they loved it too. O's paintings are wonderful! Thank you for showing them. I also liked the recycled baby food containers you used to hold the paint marbles, great idea.
    In PEACE
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I am so going to do this with Zara, we've been running out of fun activities so a new one will be nice.
    I enjoy seeing all the fun stuff you do with O, takes me back about a year to when Z was that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber!
    I didn't know you read the blog! Good to see you, and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm not sure how I found my way to your blog (maybe from Montessori by Hand?) and I am loving it! I will definitely be borrowing many of your ideas for play with my own daughter!

    I'm wondering how old O is? She looks a little older than mine, who is just over 13 months. I've been searching for ideas to engage her a little more creatively but there aren't many resources (that I've found--maybe I'm wrong!) that focus on really young toddlers just starting to walk and talk (mine is still just shy of doing either one)! I can't wait to try out your ideas!

    I love that you set up an activity for her each evening.

    Take care,
    Heidi E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,
    Thanks for your comment. O is 19 months old. I also have had a hard time coming up with activities for O, which is one reason I started the blog. I'm always hoping that mamas will comment and give me more ideas!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete