Chasing Cheerios

Monday, March 31, 2008

O's Cardboard Chair




I got the idea for making a chair out of cardboard boxes from Family Fun magazine. I couldn't find the magazine when I finally had the boxes I needed, so I didn't follow the directions exactly, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. I hot glued the boxes together (after filling them with leftover packing styrofoam to strengthen them) and decopaged wrapping paper onto them. It was a litte tedious to place all of the strips of wrapping paper on the box. Luckily, my mom helped because I was getting a little bored with it. After it dried, I put a layer of mod podge over the entire chair, let it dry, then did a 2nd layer of mod podge. I thought about involving O in the process, but she showed no interest in it, and I'm pretty sure that she would have just wanted to tear the paper :) For some reason, O thought she should go night-night in the chair. She kept saying night-night while trying to sit sideways. She pushed at the sides and said "move." I think she wanted it to be a couch :)
*After reading this post, my mom said she is pretty sure that O was trying to make the chair recline since it resembles the recliners at her house. Also, O has seen Guh-guh sit sideways on the recliner. O's grandpa had a great idea...I should make an ottoman for O's chair. I'm putting it on my list!

3 comments:

  1. My favorite part of the picture is how her feet are crossed! Too cute. Great chair. I saw the idea in Family Fun also but was not organized enough to pull it together. I might have to now, Oliver would like it, I'm sure. Thanks for the inspiration!
    PEACE
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a ton of work, but SUPER cute! Is there a Mom-version in the works? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be the cutest thing I have ever seen! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete