Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Valentine's Day Sensory Box


O and I had fun putting together her Valentine's Day Sensory box last week. I let her choose between oatmeal and rice, and she chose rice. This made it easy for me since I was able to borrow rice from the rice pit that is on our screened porch. I added in pink, red, and white pony beads, heart stickers, scoops, small cups, pom poms, and pipe cleaners (later I added a toilet paper roll). She wasn't interested in playing in the box for a day or 2, but then she started to enjoy it. She makes quite a mess with the rice, but that just gives her more opportunities to practice her sweeping skills.

9 comments:

  1. very cute sensory boxes. We definately need to practice sweeping skills:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using sensory boxes - great for every holiday:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - can you tell me where you got the monkey tongs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! i just love your sensory bin ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Such a cute box! I wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award: http://theactivefamily.blogspot.com/2010/01/and-award-goes-to.html.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sensory boxes. I never imagined my daughter and son would find things like rice and lentils so fun to play with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could use a little food coloring and have pink rice! Love the idea. Going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the monkey tongs came from Hearthsong, but it looks like they don't have them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, I think I will try. But turn it into a "treasure hunting" game for my little guy!

    ReplyDelete