Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Painting with Colored Ice Cubes

My girls had a FANTASTIC time painting with colored ice cubes yesterday afternoon!

To make the colored ice cubes, I filled an ice tray with water and added food coloring (a lot of it!) to each cube of water before freezing the cubes. We painted on white cardstock since the paper needs to be thick in order to prevent holes from all of the water.


O loved painting a sheet just one color until the ice cube melted, and E loved painting with all of the colors. I also really enjoyed painting with the ice cubes, and I was surprised by how well it worked (we did this when O was almost 3, and I don't remember it working this well).


O said this was her favorite art project that we've done all summer (we've done a lot...I just haven't found the time to write about them yet). She and E would have painted all night if the ice cubes hadn't melted. Luckily, I refroze them so we can use them another day!

Btw, our hands are stained, but I think it will wear off in a day or 2.

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I totally love it! What a great idea! The kids and ME will love doing this! :) Gotta join in their fun sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea. I think I would have to wear gloves as I don't know if I can handle the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so 'cool' :) A perfect activity for the children here in hot, hot Dubai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and also very innovative too. Awesome paintings by kids.

    ReplyDelete