Chasing Cheerios

Friday, January 25, 2008

Phonics Bags


These phonics bags have been in the works for a while now. I bought the bags from Michael's a few months ago, but I was in no hurry to make them since O is still so young. Since she's showing an interest in learning letters and enjoys reading to herself (scanning a book while saying "ra, ruh, ra, ra, ra, etc." --VERY cute!), I thought it would be a good time to make them an introduce them to her. I printed the letters onto iron-on transfer paper, and my mom cut them out while I put O down for a nap (thanks, mom!). Then I started ironing. It took a while, and I didn't have the directions, so the 1st 10 bags don't look so good, but I eventually got the hang of it. I'm somewhat pleased with the result. Now I just have to fill the bags! I have a mini book with pictures of things with that particular letter in each bag (a few books have more than one letter, so each bag does not have a book) that came from a set of books that my mom gave O. Other things included in the bags are small plastic animals - dog, penguin, seal, turtle, frog, dinosaur, etc; finger puppets- giraffe, pig, etc; pink pipe cleaner, wooden acorn, and blocks. I have lots of bags to fill, so if anyone has any great ideas of things to put in the bags, let me know!

11 comments:

  1. Hi, I made the pouches too, I have pictures on flickr, if you have a look you can see what I put in each one
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jojoebi/sets/72157601187374501/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you find all the little trinkets to go inside your bags? That are adorable!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Melissa,

    What are the dimension of these bags and do you remember how much were they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amber,
    The bags are about 5 inches by 5 inches. I think they were 5 or 6 dollars for a pack of 6. You can get them from Hobby Lobby and use the online coupon for 40% off, so they'd be much cheaper :) Thanks for the comment.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Melissa. Loved your blog! Great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little bags!
    I created a similar phonics manipulative with baby food jars, but didn't have an alternative for families that had little hands around and didn't want something breakable. Very creative.
    http://hometeachedmommamindy.blogspot.com/2009/08/abc-jars.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa...I follow your blog and you have some of the BEST ideas! I'm wondering if you ever made a list of what you put in each bag. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. i teach special ed and buy the pencil bags/boxes when they're on sale in August so that each one seals and is easy to store... can get them for like 20 cents each during sale time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I taught Montessori Prek/K last year and used the tiny plastic four-drawer containers and put garage sale dots on the drawers to show the two sounds that each drawer represented. In each drawer were objects that started with either of the two letters on the drawer. They store very easily and don't take up alot of space. You need to buy the ones with the removable drawers though. Not all of the drawers come out to be placed on rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    How do you store these bags?
    Thanks
    Helen

    ReplyDelete