Chasing Cheerios

Monday, September 1, 2008

Making Crayon Letters and Numbers

I recently purchased the silicone number and letter ice trays from the Let's Explore Shop (among LOTS of other things!), and we are very happy with them. The first thing we've made were crayons! I shouldn't say "we" since I had nothing to do with it other than providing the trays and crayons :) Unfortunately, we used cheap crayons, so the wax floated to the top and the color sank to the bottoms. It was a learning experience, and we've gotten Crayola brand crayons to use next time :) My mom, sister, O, and my niece had fun peeling the crayons (right, Melanie?) and putting the crayons in the tray. I'll show the finished product after I make the next batch :)



6 comments:

  1. I need those trays....i have a b-day party coming up on sunday the 14th! if can't get them to make the prize need another idea for a gift you crafty mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask -- where do you store all your things? You have such amazing ideas, and such amazing execution of the ideas you get elsewhere! Do you have your finished activities for O in bins stacked away somewhere? Do you rotate them out monthly or so? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog the other day through google reader and have enjoyed your crafty ideas. I had a laugh about the crayons as apparently we both read Let's Explore. I just did a blog post with the same results. Definitely try the Crayola crayons. The paper peels easier, the crayons are firmer and they have color all the way through! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. roseart are a great cheaper option then crayola they melt great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fern- I am desperately trying to get become more organized. Our house is very small, so storage is always an issue. I've just purchased a few sterilite drawers that I put by the computer (in an armoire in the den) to store in progress Montessori materials, paper, etc. Once I'm satisfied with how things are arranged and organized, I'll probably write a post about it...but it may be a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another fun project with crayons is to sharpen them with a crayon sharpener (saving the shavings). Put them "artfully" onto some thick paper, cover with another paper and iron the top. The crayons will melt with the heat of the iron. Peel apart, let cool, and you will have a beautiful masterpiece!

    I also stock up on crayons during the back to school sales. I bought crayola crayons for .22 for the 24 pack. Great deal!!

    ReplyDelete