Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kaju Burfi Attempted

O and I had fun making Kaju Burfi a few weeks ago.  I found the recipe on National Geographic Kids.  This recipe was simple, fun, and the end result was delicious. 

To make Kaju Burfi, you need 3 cups of ground cashews, 1/2 cup of water, and 2 cups of sugar.

O spooned the cashews in to the grinder.




Then she ground them  with a little help from me.





While O worked on grinding the cashews, I heated the sugar and water over medium-high heat.  O grew tired of grinding, so I finished grinding the cashews while stirring the sugar water.  Meanwhile, E was tired and wanted me to hold her.  As soon as the sugar/water mixture looked ready, I threw the cashews in and mixed them.  I poured the mixture into a glass pan and spread them out.  Our cashews were not ground into powder (as the directions described), and the sugar/water mixture wasn't quite ready, but our Kaju Burfi was delicious!



5 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! Going to have to pick up more cashews! Thanks for sharing. *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks nice... but unless its ground cashew, its not called Burfi :-) you can make the same with peanuts also (unless there is no allergy in the family, do roast them first) If you have an indian store nearby do try a kaju burfi... ( Haldirams is a packaged brand... and its available in US, if planning to try ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we'll try the electric grinder next time and maybe we'll have more success! I changed the title since it's not really kaju burfi :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the grinder you used? We have an electric one, but I think I like the idea of a crank one for practice for the boys.

    ReplyDelete