Chasing Cheerios

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Matching Animals Figurines to Animal Pictures

E LOVES animals so I thought she might enjoy a matching activity using one of her favorite books and animal figurines.  She doesn't quite get the concept of matching yet, but she's catching on and she really enjoys it.  This is the activity that she has chosen off of her shelf first all week.

To do this activity, I put the book along with several animal figurines into a basket on her Montessori shelf.



We look at the book and match the animals to the pictures in the book by placing the animal figurine on the picture.









Sometimes she'll choose an animal and we'll flip through the book looking for that animal.  Other times we look at the book and match the animals as we read the book.

7 comments:

  1. We have this book too. It has fallen out of rotation but this will be a great way to bring it back around. Thanks for sharing! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing this with my 14 month old since he was ten months and he loves it. http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2010/06/teeny-tiny-tot-school_27.html

    E might like this http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2010/07/teeny-tiny-tot-school.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have this book. F learnt a lot of his first animal words from it, and now, at nearly 2, can pretty much name every single page. I love the "real life" pics in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I think my 2 year old sweetie would have fun with this. I am looking for activities for her, meanwhile the big boys to their work.

    Thanks for sharing!
    -Susana
    http://www.montessoricandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is adorable!! I am just amazed at how fast your sweet little E is growing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great activity. Our Speech therapist has recommended it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea. I am picturing my 2.5 year old "helping" the nine month old with this one!

    ReplyDelete