Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cotton Ball Collage

The idea for this activity came from Young at Art by Susan Striker. I gave the girls a bowl of cotton balls (I cut the cotton from medicine bottles to make the cotton balls since Guh-guh didn't have any) and a bowl of diluted glue. They dipped the cotton into the glue and made cloud collages on their construction paper.

This was a quick and fun art activity. We talked about the contrasting colors of black and white. Although O has known her colors for quite a while, she still sometimes confuses black and white, which I think is somewhat strange :) We also talked about the different textures of the cotton verses the paper. I'm looking forward to doing a texture collage with O soon!


4 comments:

  1. My 3.5 year old daughter gets black & white mixed up all the time. Pink & purple confuse her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally normal. My DD figured out black and white at about age 3 3/4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Susan Striker's book and her approach to art. I find my son is so much more engaged in open art than in prefab crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check out that book! I love her clouds! :)

    ReplyDelete