Chasing Cheerios

Monday, March 23, 2009

Water Transfer & Color Mixing

I planned on doing a green water transfer for St. Patrick's Day, but then Shannon suggested mixing colors as well, and I realized what a great idea that was! Thanks, Shannon! I love that I am a mommy during this time of great blogs and email :) All of the ideas and support on my online mommy friends makes our lives so much easier and more fun!

First, O squeezed a few drops of food coloring into 3 different glasses. Then she poured water into the glasses. It was fun to watch the water change color as she poured it in, and she said "Ohhh. Beautiful!"

 

Then I showed her how to use the dropper to transfer a little bit of water to each bowl. I was surprised by how well she did with this because we have not done water transferring in a few months.

 

She then added blue water to the yellow water to make green! She was VERY impressed!

 

She kept adding colors until the water turned brown. Then we tried red and blue to make purple.

 

After she was finished experimenting with color mixing, we went outside and picked flowers to try our science experiment again. We put a white flower in each color, and we're hoping they'll change colors :)


 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. great idea to mix the colored waters with the dropper

    ReplyDelete
  2. How COOL is that!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. Color mixing, water transfer and coloring the flowers are all things I have thought about doing, but it didn't occur to me to do them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so cool. I did with celery and someone mentioned it would work great with white carnations. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like she had alot of fun!

    can't wait to see how the flowers turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Beautiful! I love your flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! This activity was so much fun that I think we'll do it again soon :) The Camelias absorbed some of the colors as they drank the water. The edges turned colors, but then the flowers fell off of the stems :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. we did this with white carnations.

    with the carnations you have to put LOTS of dye in the water. not just a few drops..

    We started with 5 drops in a small glass and after two days no change.. Then I put SWIRTS of the dye in the water and it started to change color by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this idea! I love it and I know my kids would too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved color mixing using droppers. Great St. Patrick's Day activity that can be used all year! I linked to your post at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/03/14/montessori-inspired-st-patricks-day-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed revisiting your post, Melissa! You have so many great rainbow posts and activities! I featured your rainbow posts and color mixing photo in my Montessori-Inspired Rainbow Activities at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/04/26/montessori-inspired-rainbow-activities-and-rainbow-blog-hop/

    ReplyDelete