Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Matching Stenciled Shirts


O and I made matching freezer paper stenciled butterfly shirts for O and E last weekend. O chose the butterfly stencil from a set of nature stencils that she received for Christmas. I traced the pattern onto the freezer paper, cut out the pattern, and ironed the paper (shiny side down) onto the shirts. I mixed fabric medium with acrylic craft paint, and O and I painted the shirts. This was a fast, fun, and easy project with great results!!!

O was very excited to have matching shirts with her sister since they have both grown out of their matching appliqued shirts.

O has had a great time pretending to be a witch lately...she wears her orange witch hat and high heeled "glass slippers." She's quite a sight :)

We made these shirts a couple of weeks ago, and I was surprised by how much the butterfly faded in the wash. Maybe cheap acrylic craft paint and fabric medium isn't the way to go...

5 comments:

  1. That is the cutest picture ever. the hat definitely tops it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, they are so cute, I hope they don't fade anymore. I broke out the keyboard today to say thanks for the wonderful blog, I made my daily stop by after a 14 hr work day and once again was rewarded with a post that made me smile! I bet there are a lot of daily readers just like me, rare to comment but appreciative of the bright spot in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard when you don't know if your project is going to fade. You could try to go a shade or two darker than what you want the outcome to be, that way when it fades you end up with a color that's at or close to what you wanted. Or, switching materials might help too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you are finished and the paint has dried, you need to iron over the top before you wash it. A very important step so it doesn't fade!!

    ReplyDelete