Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, June 3, 2010

An Easy, Healthy Dinner


I don't have much time to cook, so I try to make things that are fast, simple, healthy, and don't require many pots or pans. This meal met all of my requirements, so I make it often :) I'm not sure what to call it...maybe Veggie & Chicken Couscous Casserole.

To make Veggie & Chicken Couscous Casserole, you need frozen carrots, frozen brocolli florets, whole grain couscous, and precooked rotisserie chicken (I love buying cooked rotisserie chickens from WM...one chicken usually lasts several days and makes my life so much easier). I saute the brocolli and carrots in olive oil and garlic. Once they are cooked, I pour in whole grain couscous and water (I don't measure anything...I just add couscous and water until it looks right). I shred the rotisserie chicken and add it in. This is a quick, easy, and healthy meal, and it's also great for mashing into baby food :)

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    You should try making a whole chicken in the crock pot. It is easy and inexpensive. (Plus, then you know where your chicken is from. I use to purchase rotisserie chickens from our local grocery store until I asked for the nutrition fact sheet for them. They were Tyson chickens. Now I only purchase local, flash frozen, whole chickens.)

    Here is the recipe:

    Crockpot Whole Chicken
    4 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large roasting chicken
    1 cup onion, chopped

    1. In a small bowl, combine the spices.
    2. Rinse and dry the chicken.
    3. Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
    4. When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock.
    5. Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it’s own juices.
    6. Cook on low 8 hours.

    http://reimerrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/05/crockpot-whole-chicken.html


    I love reading your blog. My little girl is 10 months. We are discussing homeschooling her.

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good! We also like the WM chickens, but like Nicole I'm not interested in supporting the chicken industry. We just had 25 chicks delivered (buff orpingtons)and we're very excited about raising our own meat and eggs.

    I've never cooked couscous, but this makes me want to try. I've had it before, though and I think my family would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! I just ordered stoneware that you can cook a chicken in the microwave for 30 min!! I tried one and it tastes nice and juicy can't wait to try it out!
    Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete