Chasing Cheerios

Friday, June 8, 2012

An Elliott Update

Thank you for all of the emails over the past couple of months asking how Elliott is doing following his surgery to remove a brain tumor.  I realized that I really should write a post about this since so many of your have expressed concern and kindness for him and our family during this incredibly difficult time. 

It has been a little more than 2 months since Elliott's craniotomy and about 3 and a half months since his initial diagnosis.  To be perfectly honest, when I think back on the last 3 and half months, it's almost like it didn't really it was all just a very bad dream with a (hopefully) happy ending.  I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that this truly happened to our family and that we survived it and are thriving. 

It's hard to believe that he went from this on April 20 (this was right before his stitches were removed)

to this on May's unbelievable really.

We found out at his 6 week post surgery appt with the neurosurgeon that there is a 15% chance that his tumor (benign) will grow back.  That percentage actually seems quite high to me, so I am trying to focus on the 85% chance that it will not grow back.  If it grows back, he may have to have radiation or a more radical tumor removal surgery.  I'm not sure how you can get much more radical than the craniotomy that he already had, and the thought of that is both terrifying and overwhelming.   He will have to have MRIs every year which is better (I guess) than the every 6 months that we were expecting.   I am sure that the last couple of months before the next MRI are going to be very difficult as we wait to find out if the tumor is growing back. 

The girls have handled the situation very well, but they (especially O) have had a very difficult time separating from me since we returned from our week away during the surgery.  It was very difficult to drop her off at school for the last few weeks, and she recently freaked out when I tried to leave her backstage at her dance recital.  This surprised me a lot since it was her 3rd recital, and she has been in 3 ballets, and she has never, ever had a problem with me leaving her before.  We have had Vacation Bible School at our church this week, and I have been a teacher for the kindergarten class.  When my mom asked O(5) what the best part of Bible School was, she said "the best part is that mama doesn't drop me off.  She stays and is a teacher and doesn't leave me."   I really hope that we haven't damaged her for life by being away from her during Elliott's surgery.  Hopefully, she just needs time and lots of mama and daddy time before being comfortable with us leaving her again.

Thank you again to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words that have supported us through all of this. 


  1. We will continue to pray for your family.

  2. Wow! Talk about a dramatic before and after picture. I am so glad to read E is doing well, and although 15% sounds scary, it really is soooo small compard to the 85% chance that it will NOT grow back.

    Will co tinue to send prayers and positive thoughts your way and to the young ones as well.

  3. So the good news is good news.

    We had to leave our children, ages 12 and 16, for a week while my DH underwent stem cell transplant recovery (he was gone 3-1/2 weeks while I stayed home to work and care for everyone else). Our kids didn't want to stay with family or friends, although many offered and plans were made. They weathered it OK, but we are learning that even at those ages there are repercussions that have to be worked through. There is no easy way about these kinds of situations, just the ability to learn from them later on.

    Continued best wished to you and your family -- always.

  4. Thanks for the update! Have been wondering what you found out and praying for your family. Glad to hear he is doing so well!

    Will continue to lift your family up in prayer, especially little O.

  5. I'm so glad to hear Elliott is doing well. I'll continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. Deb @

  6. I'm so glad he's doing well! And I'm sure that as time separates you from the surgery, O will relax and it will become a vague memory.

  7. 85% of Success!!!

    Yes! its great being in 2012, Im just saying how much science improve in a 100 years.

    Speaking of recovery what a great picture so much energy and happiness.

    Its all about how we spent and share our time all together.

    I Send You Positive energy and Love!

  8. my friend actually has brain cancer and even through the chemos and radiations she has picked up her kids from school, dropped them off and was room mom. There was just the day after (she would do the treatments on Thursday's)that she was sick. So her mom did all that on Fridays and she was at mass on Sundays.

    Like she said she is living her life like it was before the C word entered. That way it never wins.

    Glad to see him enjoy what he loves doing. :)

    I'm so glad your family is doing great and yes focus on the 85% it won't come back :) stay positive and happy! :)

  9. there must be something called blogepathy..i log on almost daily to check about your husband and remember him quite often in prayer, along with another couple of bloggers who are going thru glad to hear hes doing great..thanks for letting us know

  10. Nosotros siempre los tenemos en nuestras oraciones y se que Dios los seguira bendiciendole y dandoles una vida de felicidad, abrazos.

  11. I am so happy to hear that Elliot is recovering so well. Love the ski picture. Best wishes to your family on continued healing and health.