Chasing Cheerios

Monday, March 30, 2009

Tell Me A Story Blocks





The idea for these blocks came from The Toby Show. The idea behind the blocks is to use them as story starters. You roll the dice and start your story based on the picture on the block. Then the next person rolls the dice and continues the story. I've been eyeing these tell me a story cards, so I already loved the idea of story prompts. This was even better since I could easily make it myself, and I already had all the materials that I needed.

To make my blocks, I cut tiny pictures out of old (torn, beat up, scribbled in books from the thrift store that I buy for various craft projects) children's books and decopaged them onto the blocks. This was super simple, fast, and fun! I've made 3 blocks so far (the blocks are 1 inch squares), and I plan to make a few more using pictures of us since O especially loves stories in which she is the star!

12 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about making story cards for family as Christmas gifts...this is one step better...thanks for the fab idea!

    http://beinglds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't think this question is out of line; but I was wondering how much you budget monthly for making the things you do for O. I know you say you already have a lot of those things, but they had to cost something to begin with. I'm just wondering for myself, because I have zero craft or other supplies and would love to do the same thing, but really have no idea what those things cost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, but wasn't it hard to take scissors to older children's books? I'm not sure I could do it! Maybe in a few more years I'll feel differently, when they are stained and ripped and have clearly had their day in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super idea. On my to do list now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie- I don't have a budget, but it's a good idea. I spend very little on craft supplies because I buy most things at thrift stores or dollar stores, and I don't like to pay full price for anything :) The blocks were cheap, maybe 25 cents each and the pictures came from thrift stor books. Hope that helps :)

    Infant Bibliophile- I feel the same way you do! I purposely bought torn and scribbled in books from the thrift store. Otherwise, I would never have been able to cut them :) Also, some of the pictures came from old textbooks that are also scribbled in, so I didn't mind cutting those that much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOOVE it!! Oh boy, I'm off to find some blocks and picts from magazines-

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are already on my 'to do' list. We are heading to the UK in June - a 20 hour journey door to door so I am making up a new travel pack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! My drawing skills aren't great so I was still thinking about how to make the story blocks work. This is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love 'em! They turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is an old post, but I am linking up to it from my blog today in a post about encouraging storytelling. :)

    ReplyDelete