Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Fun Fine Motor Activity


Here is a fun way to get your kiddos to practice their fine motor skills, and it was very simple to make.

To make this toy (I don't really know what to call it), you need an empty water bottle (cut in half), duct tape, pipe cleaner, and 3 bottle tops.

I cut the bottle in half, put duct tape around the cut edge for safety, made holes in the side of the bottle for the pipe cleaner, put pipe cleaners through the holes, made holes in the bottle tops, and put the other end of the pipe cleaners through the bottle tops. I used an ice pick to make the holes in the bottle tops...unfortunately, I was a little hammer happy, and I hammered the ice pick through the bottle top and into my kitchen table. I was pretty surprised when I lifted the ice pick up, and it stuck! Oops!

The idea for this activity came from Julie K in Taiwan.

This post was written a loooooooooooong time ago...July, I think. O wasn't very enthusiastic about this activity, and I eventually put it away. When I took it back out in December, she was very excited and she has really enjoyed working with it.

4 comments:

  1. Do all the different color tops fit the bottle? Is the point to try all 3 and find the one that fits or just to be able to use fine motor skills and screw/unscrew each cap one at a time (assuming they all fit the water bottle).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity. I think Xander would love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the tops fit on the bottle...the point is to just practice screwing and unscrewing the tops from the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that looked familiar! Julie K has been a friend of mine for years! :)

    ReplyDelete