Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

O's Embroidered Cat


O(5) recently embroidered this cat during our nightly "Mommy and O Craft Time," and she is SO proud!

To make the cat embroidery pattern, she drew a cat and we photocopied her cat drawing. I traced the photocopied cat with an iron-on pencil and ironed the pattern on a piece of fabric. O chose her colors, and I helped her thread her needle and tie knots in the end of the thread. Then, she got to work! She LOVES to embroider, and I do, too! We have BIG plans for a year long embroidery project that culminates in a final quilting project.

5 comments:

  1. Awww so cute!!!!! My 5 year old loved to embroider too! Which is strange considering a cross stich I started to give to my second grade teacher is still unfinished! ;) She does a great job though! I love it when kids create! Cant wait to see the rest of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely adorable- I'm going to have to introduce embrodery to my little guy. You've got a great site, if you get a chance come take a look at mine

    http://penpalsandpicturebooks.blogspot.com/

    -Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cat. We haven't started my little one (5) on embrodery yet, but she has been sewing her own creations! This is too cute! Here is one of the posts on sewing at my blog (she is in the last part of the video!) http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/10/whoooo-wants-to-make-owl-costume-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love your blog. My kids are very similar in age to yours. My daughter just turned 5 and was hoping to introduce her to some type of sewing/embroidery, but wasn't sure if she was too young, or where to start. Seeing O's cat, makes me realize she isn't too young, now where to start....what kind of needles do you have her use? Just regular sewing needles? Any suggestions you have would be great!

    brandi_svoboda at yahoo dot com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete