Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Homemade Playdough


Homemade Playdough, originally uploaded by omamom16.

O and I have been at my mom's house for the past week, so we haven't done any Montessori activities, but she has had a GREAT time playing with her cousin, M. Yesterday afternoon we decided to make homemade playdough using Laura's recipe. The girls had a fantastic time. They loved pouring in the ingredients and then mixing them with a spoon. My mom did the actual cooking of the playdough! While they played, M declared that this was "the BEST playdough ever!" I agree! The texture was perfect, and it smells so good. We added cinnamon and pumpkin pie spices to make it seasonal :) O really enjoyed making "duhkees" (cookies), and she and M both said they were making them for me to make me feel better. What sweet girls! Here is Laura's recipe (and you should check out her post because she has LOTS of good ideas for making "playdough of the month."

Homemade Playdough

1 c. flour

1/2 cup salt

1 T. cooking oil

1 T. cream of tartar

1 c. water

Food coloring of your choice

Add-ins of your choice (i.e. spices, extracts, glitter, etc.)

Stir ingredients together well. Just measure them into the saucepan you will be using to cook the dough, but mix them well before heating up the pan. Over medium heat cook the dough, stirring constantly until it forms a ball.
Let the playdough cool and then knead until it's smooth.

Thanks, Laura!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Melissa!
    PS Please know that you are in my thoughts. I wish I could have been of any help to you.
    Miri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Miri. Your comments and everyone else's have been a trememendous help to me. Maybe that sounds silly, but it helps to know that people care :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not silly at all. Many friends here care a great deal for you. I think you have a warm place in many hearts, mainly because you are such a special person. You inspire us in such many ways. It would be only fair that we felt a friendly connection to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This play dough sounds really interesting. I make play dough with my daughter alot. But it is different - no cream of tatar and you don't have to cook it.
    I am just wondering - does your play dough keep for a while or can you only use it once? If you can keep it, do you have to keep it in a fridge or something? Can you bake it? (So it hardens and you can keep whatever you have made.)

    Ulli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ulli- The kids are still playing with the playdough that they made at Halloween, so it last at least a couple of months :) You don't have to refrigerate it, but you do need to keep it in a sealed container. I don't know if you can bake it. That's a good question!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is "the BEST playdough ever!" I sometimes make it without the cream of tartar...less of a smooth consistency, but still ok by my kids.

    ReplyDelete