Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

My mom, O(4), and my niece(7) made laundry soap while E(1) and I went to the toddler library storytime one morning during "Laura" camp week. (E helped when we got back...she does NOT like to be left out of any activity!)

My mom wrote the ingredients out on a wipe-off board. Then they they grated the soap.


After they grated enough soap, they mixed all of the ingredients together (with close supervision since Borax is poisonous if ingested).


My mom really likes using this laundry soap to wash towels and sheets.

In addition to making soap, the girls made a covered wagon! They draped bedsheets over a 4 post bed and set it up as a covered wagon. When E and I got back from the library, we all went for a ride. I sat in the front and drove the horses. We had a lot of fun playing in the covered wagon!

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet idea! Where did you find the adorable outfits? My girls are a little young for Little House but I plan to introduce it this next year. They love to dress up and I would love to have prairie outfits for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used that recipe for years! I simplify it by using 1 bar of soap (any will do, castille is more "green" though I use whatever I have) 1 cup of washing soda and 1 cup of borax. It mixes up quickly and since you only have to use 1 Tablespoon per load it lasts forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sharing another homemade soap idea that's completely non-toxic. Use soap nuts. I get mine from Laundry Tree but your local health food store may have them too. They are the nuts from a tree that soap is made from. They can be used in muslin bag for warm laundry or you can make "Soap Nut Soak" as a liquid soap for all temps of laundry. Boil 4 c purified water. Turn off. Toss in 10-15 soap nuts. Let sit overnight. Compost leftover soap nuts after giving them a squeeze and all of the remaining liquid is wonderful earth friendly soap! Laundry Tree's website has a lot more info, but we use only soap nuts for all of our laundry needs now (and wool dryer balls instead of chemical sheets in the dryer.)

    ReplyDelete