Chasing Cheerios

Monday, June 22, 2009

A New Spin on Matching


Since matching pictures has gotten a little too easy for O, I decided to spice it up a little! I found a small butterfly calendar at Michael's and cut the pictures out and laminated them. I then cut the tiny pictures that were on the back of the calendar and laminated them. O had to look VERY carefully at the tiny pictures to find the matches. (Next time we may incorporate the use of a magnifying glass into this work.) This was a lot of fun, and she was very curious about how I cut out the tiny pictures. She's a little obsessed with cutting :)

9 comments:

  1. http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/science/science_center_activities.htm

    follow the link to kellys kindergarten and click on magnifying pictures for three different sets :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm did it not come up right?

    http://www.kellyskindergarten.com
    /sience/sience-centre

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great ideas! Especially since 2009 calendars are practically free by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea--especially with the magnifying glass! Genius!

    We too are a little past your average matching so we got this game --it's twin matching... some are easy and some are subtle.

    http://www.moolka.com/jzv/prod/13885/Beleduc/Toys/Early+Development/Memory+and+Matching/Twins+Memory+Game

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder, rainbowmummy! I printed these cards a long time ago (I think I saw them on Shannon's Sharings), and O didn't like them. I put them away and forgot about them. We aren't at home now, but I think I know exactly where they are! Thanks, again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayte- I LOVE the twins matching game. Thanks for sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another idea is to use sheets of printed wrapping paper and deliberately not make the duplicate cards identical (ie. use different parts of the printed design). This way the child needs to look for clues such as the background colour or other design elements to make the match.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! I think we'll try that with the calendars. We used wrapping paper before for a matching game.

    ReplyDelete