Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Raining Rainbows

When I saw this fun and simple activity on Jo's blog, I knew it was one we had to try!

To make a raining rainbow fill a clear container with water and cover the top with shaving cream.  Drip food coloring onto the top of the shaving cream.  Then, watch and wait until  the rainbow begins to rain through the cloud of shaving cream. We were so excited when the colors started "raining" down from our cloud of shaving cream!  (I admit that I was more excited than the girls!)



The top of the shaving cream looked really pretty!



After we watched the raining rainbow for a while, we placed pieces of white card stock onto the colored shaving cream to make prints.  The girls loved this part the most of all, and they somehow ended up covered in shaving cream!  We scraped off the shaving cream to leave behind a swirly and colorful print, but I forgot to take a picture of the final product.



Simple, beautiful, messy, and fun!  Doesn't get much better than that!

4 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I may have to steal my hubby's shaving cream! My son would love this! Something he can do, given his special needs! Nice for a rainy day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried this experiment too! The kids really enjoyed it but wish I thought to try and get a cardstock to make prints out of the top. My daughter ended up mixing everything together & we did hand painting. http://noncreativemom.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/raining-rainbows/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this project too. Super cool. We used index cards to get some beautiful colors. We used as an opportunity to discuss hypothesis and guessed how many drops of food coloring it would take to rain through. We followed it up with some fun shaving cream play on the counter top. We thought about trying it with whipped cream so we could eat it because it looked so pretty. Will let you know if we try it.

    ReplyDelete