Chasing Cheerios

Monday, January 23, 2012

The Pink Tower

I finally bought a pink tower.  I've been thinking about it for years, but decided not to buy one since O(5) has one at school.  Then, since E(2) won't be going to Montessori Preschool until she is 4, I decided to go ahead and get one for her.  I'm so glad that I did, and I wish I'd bought it sooner (maybe 4 and a half years ago!).

I bought our pink tower from Amazon, and it came with an instruction booklet which lays out how to give the pink tower lesson.  That was helpful, so I gave the lesson to E(2).  She really just wanted to play pretend with the pink tower, so I related the different sized blocks to the different members of the Ingalls family...the biggest was Pa, then Ma, then Mary, then Laura, and so on.  This made all the difference, and she loved it!  I know that probably wasn't very "Montessori" of me, but it's what she loves, and it worked for us!








After building the pink tower vertically and horizontally, I let her just play and explore with the blocks.  She grabbed the instruction book and said "Let me see the designs!  I want to make designs!"  Unfortunately, there aren't any designs in the book, but she still loved looking at it.  I'm going to make some design cards for her soon.






2 comments:

  1. I love how the Pink Tower was related to people in the family! I call that "progressive Montessori"! (We used to make the Pink Tower into a pink train in our classroom! The young ones loved it! Choo, choo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really into the Ingalls right now too! I want a pink tower but can't justify it to myself when I have a thrifted set of stacking blocks already. lol

    ReplyDelete