Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Decorating (Hot) Easter Eggs with Crayons

Drawing on hot boiled eggs with crayons is SO much fun! This idea came from Family Fun magazine as a quick and easy way to decorate Easter eggs. However, we enjoyed using eggs as an art medium so much that we may draw on our boiled eggs every week!


As soon as the eggs finished boiling, I put them in a tray (that came with an egg dyeing kit). O(4) and I drew on them with the crayons, and the crayon wax melted as we drew.


I was undecided about whether or not to allow E(1) to join in on this activity. However, it was a moot point since E understands "hot" and was not at all interested in getting near the hot eggs. She sat quietly and watched her sister draw.

After drawing for a while, O decided to shave her crayons and sprinkle the shavings on the eggs. What fun!

16 comments:

  1. I bet ebi-kun would like a go at this, thanks for sharing. So far this year we have done nothing Easter related!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever. Family Fun has so many smart ideas - and I love how O added the shaved crayons. That's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of using the shaved crayons too - what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a lot of fun! I like how O decided to explore the wax medium further by using the shavings. She's thinking outside the box! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun! We'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Family Fun actually had the crayon shavings idea in there, too. However, I didn't tell O about it, so I was very surprised when she started shaving her crayons :) After the eggs cooled, we put them back in the container, and it's easy to know which ones are boiled...since they are beautiful (and tasty, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, I can't believe that I haven't seen this before! Such a simple concept I remember doing this with rocks as a child, I think I will be trying this one this year :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I've been wanting an easter egg project for my daughter. I can't imagine that egg dyeing would be right this year. Coloring sounds like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great way to reuse broken crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute idea, love the bright colors! http://www.daycareheadquarters.com
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really great idea. You should post it on It's Playtime! http://messypreschoolers.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-playtime.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great idea to give the melted crayon look!! I had seen on another blog, they put crayon shaings on egg and let them all out in sun to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving this idea! It's so simple and yet unique. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    Lori @ montessori MOMents
    http://mymontessorimoments.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I linked to this post because I thought it was such an interesting idea. You can see my post here http://mummyzilla.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter.html

    ReplyDelete