Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Spy Bag with Beans and Animals

I made an "I Spy" bag for E(1) for our recent road trip. I used a zippered pouch (pencil case) that I filled with mixed beans, plastic farm animals (from the Target dollar spot), plastic babies, and plastic cats. I attached some pictures of the farm animals to the bag with a ring.

I covered the zipper with packing tape, so that E wouldn't unzip the bag. She was determined to remove the tape the first time she saw the bag, but she's lost interest in trying to remove and just enjoys the bag now.





She is currently going through a phase where she thinks "hineys" are hilarous, and she loves to find the babies' hineys. She also loves to count to 2, and you can hear that in the video as well. Today, when we were looking in the bag, we could only see the babies' faces, and she insisted that I help her find their hineys! Funny girl!

11 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I am definetely going to make one for my little one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have stuff on isle to make two eye spy bags . hum it farm week here and next i might have to make one farm and one easter . fun am thining hot glue to closer >? or maybe just the tape http://abcsofjesshouse.blogspot.com/ jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. How adorable! It's nice to know my girl's are the only ones distracted by the rear ends of animals and babies! We have a Davey Crocket book that has a painting of Indians in their "flappers." It's my two year old's favorite page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made those with clear plastic sports drink bottles and filled them with a crushed corn cob (small animal bedding aisle at walmart). It was cheap ($3.50 for the HUGE bag, I made 5 and used less than half) and they're very light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made one filled w/poly pellets (like you use to stuff dolls), but after I filled it, I sewed a zig zag stitch seam just below the zipper a few times to prevent opening the bag. Plus this way my kiddos can still open and close the zipper (which they enjoy as well). I love the idea of having pictures of everything in it. For now I just have a laminated list but this isn't super helpful since neither of my girls can read yet :). Thanks for your blog, I've been using ideas from it for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, how fun...I've always made those in the regular plastic baggies. I love the laminated picture cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, I am going to make one before our plane trip coming up! Glad I found your blog, I am going to add it to my favorites list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your eye spy bean bags they turned out super and I will definitely be putting your idea to use. Thanks for sharing.

    Here is the link to some we made recently .

    http://livingatthewhiteheadszoo.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-spy-bean-bags.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great idea. I love discovering new things for my toddlers to play with. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have linked to this post here: Frugal Road Trip with Kids – Fun Stuff http://www.morewithlessmom.com/index.php/2013/06/04/frugal-road-trip-with-kids-fun-stuff/

    ReplyDelete