Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Felt Gingerbread Cookie Activity

I've decided to repost a few posts from last Christmas. O is enjoying this cookie set again this year, and I'm hoping to make a few more felt Christmas cookies for her for Christmas (although I may not finish them until Christmas Eve!).

For O's 12th advent activity, we had a treasure hunt to find a special handmade gift :) The 1st note sent her to the ottoman where she found another note (Elliott read the notes to her). That note sent her to the sliding glass door by the stairs. She pulled the curtain back to find the note on the door. Then she headed to her seat at the table. There was a note stuck to the bottom of her seat which directed her to the pots and pans cabinet. When she opened the cabinet door, she found her special prize! O didn't really understand the treasure hunt at 1st, but once she understood what we were doing she LOVED it. I plan on having a couple of more treasure hunts for her to find handmade gifts for advent.

O's special prize is a felt gingerbread cookie making kit! I've seen sugar cookie kits similar to this on etsy and at various online shops, and I couldn't wait to make one for O. It was easy to make, but it did take a while. I did all of the sewing by hand, which I really enjoyed (I'm still a little intimidated by the sewing machine!).

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing



Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Here are the freshly baked and decorated gingerbread girl and boy. I'd planned to embroider the details, but then I realized that it would be MUCH easier, faster, and would look more like icing if I painted the details with puff, fabric paint! O immediately took these cookies to her play kitchen :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Guh-guh quickly made a coordinate gingerbread man drawstring bag for storing the gingerbread making kit before she left our house this morning. Thanks, Guh-guh!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! I also love how involved your mom is in your kid's lives. What a great treat for them and a wonderful picture of family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect timing as I am planning to make felt gingerbread cookies for my girls.

    I like how you kept the extra so they can "cut" out the gingerbread men.

    I think I will stick with the embroidery though. I have it, so it's free.

    ReplyDelete