Chasing Cheerios

Monday, December 21, 2009

Handpainted Santa Trivets


O painted these cork trivets (from IKEA) using her handprint for her aunts, grandmamas, and me! These gifts were super easy to make and turned out better than I expected.

To make the Santas I painted her fingers white for Santa's beard, and I painted her palm pink. I painted the bottom of her palm and thumb red with a little dot of white on the tip of her thumb (we used acrylic craft paint and tempura paint). Then we mashed her hand onto the trivet. I repainted her hand for each trivet. I added the eyes with a permanent black marker. I thought about adding a few more facial features, but then decided to keep it simple. I didn't seal them with anything, so I hope they will last...

The idea for painting cork trivets from IKEA came from Let's Explore. Thanks Amy for all of your inspiring ideas!

Oh, we also put a handprint turkey on the back of my trivet, so I can use it for Christmas or Thanksgiving (although I doubt I'll actually use it for anything other than decoration). We ran out of time before we could put turkeys on the backs of the other trivets :( Next year I really will finish our handmade gifts earlier...it's so much more enjoyable to make gifts without a deadline weighing down on you.

4 comments:

  1. I just saw these on My Delicious Ambiguity. They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw these on Delicious Ambiguity also ... love them! So cute!

    I have an early childhood website, and we are currently having a winter and holiday idea contest, and would love to have you submit some of your ideas! Prizes are gift cards to Discount School Supply for the top rated ideas!
    Hope you will consider participating in our contest - www.theseedsnetwork.com/contest.php

    ReplyDelete