Chasing Cheerios

Monday, December 21, 2009

The Most Amazing Baby Quilt EVER!

(and I don't mind saying that since I didn't make it!)

They say it's the thought that counts...if that is true, this quilt is worth millions! I've been thinking about and planning this quilt in my mind for more than a year, and it turned out BETTER than I expected! I did the planning, purchasing, and cutting, and my mom did ALL of the sewing! Isn't she AMAZING?!!! (I planned to help, but I'm not a very good seamstress, and I certainly can't sew while nursing a baby which is how I spend my days :)

Now, let me tell you about the quilt...My favorite side is the Visual Stimulation/Peek-a-boo side. We decided to only use red, black, and white fabrics on this side.

Mom sewed clear plastic pockets onto 5 of the squares and created a flap to cover the pockets creating a peek-a-boo effect. O has already put one of her drawings into a pocket, and we plan to rotate pictures and drawings through the pockets for E to enjoy :)


The other side of the quilt is the Texture/"I Spy" side. I chose several "busy" fabrics so that we can play "I Spy" with the quilt when E is older. To add various textures to the quilt, we used fleece, flannel, velvet, satin, and corduroy fabrics. Many of the different textures were cut from my old clothes (my favorite cords from my college days and a velvety red Christmas shirt that I loved), which makes if even more special to me.

We had fun making this quilt. It was hard to find the time to do it (I cut all of the squares before E was born, but that was as far as we got), but it was well worth the effort. I hope that E loves and treasures this quilt as much I do! Thanks, Mom! We love you!!!

11 comments:

  1. I was just trying to envision something like this for an older child as a learning mat. I love creating my own homeschool manipulatives. The quilt turned out so beautiful, and I am thankful you were able to see a vision become a reality. That doesn't always happen for moms of little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, it is great Melissa! Since my best friend announced she was pregnant I have been planning to make a baby blanket but I keep changing the design! She is due today LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I love it!! Kudos to both you and your mom for your awesome idea and execution of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is beautiful and special and amazing! I Love every thing about it from the textures, colors, fabrics to the clear pockets. I think O's note is the sweetest part!
    Your Mom is wonderful. I know how it is to have things planned like this in your mind for quite some time - I do it all the time, too.
    A treasured item that E will pass down to her children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I bet E will get a lot of enjoyment from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is anything impossible for your mom? She seems like Super mom!
    I think she should start up a blog!
    Merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice! If you made the plastic flaps a little bigger, you could use the cards from this car seat gallery in the pockets:
    http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Toy-201470-Seat-Gallery/dp/B00009KWV5

    My little guy loved this when he was a newborn. Next baby I'm getting the mobile too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linked to this on my weekly roundup.

    I know how full your hands are right now, but I have been wanting to encourage you to just jump in and sew! I have been able to toss my perfectionist tendencies out the window, which helps quite a bit. I had a ball sewing stuff for Christmas presents this year and I just tell my family that their gifts are made with love, not skill or precision. :>) You might try checking out Valerie at Frugal Family Fun Blog's Sewing in Baby Steps - it helps break the learning down into easy steps that can be managed during naptimes.

    I'll warn you, though - once you start stitching, you're not going to want to stop! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the îdea of including different textures! I have been toying around with the idea of making a babyblanket but couldn't really decide what it should look like. Thanks for the great idea with the texture side! Will try doing that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    The baby quilt is very beautiful.Then information is very nice.

    Regards,
    Michelle Horny
    www.assemblies.com

    ReplyDelete