Chasing Cheerios

Friday, December 18, 2009

Snowball Surprise Soap

O and I made Snowball Surprise Soap to go along with the book, Dream Snow, which was our advent book on Friday. To make Snowball Surprise Soap, you need a bar of white soap (we used Dove), a grater, a small toy (we used a plastic penguin), and a bowl of warm water.

First, we took turns grating the soap.

Then we wet our hands in the bowl of warm water, picked up handfuls of the grated soap, and pressed it onto the penguin.

As we pressed the soap onto the penguin, we rolled the ball in our hands to make a snowball shape.

This was a fun and easy activity, and this soap would make a great handmade gift for kids. I think we'll definitely add this to our list of handmade gifts to make for next Christmas!

(The idea for this activity came from a magazine...probably Family Fun, but possibly Parents.)

8 comments:

  1. This post came at the perfect time for us! This is our planned Advent activity for tomorrow and I've been a little nervous about it. I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard for her but now I'm excited.

    And yes, I'm pretty sure it was Family Fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fun can't wait to try this with my kids.. Maybe will make little snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you use soap flakes instead? I'm a bit apprehensive about letting my 4 y/o use our box grater. I can't seem to use it without losing a chunk of knuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! LOVE it! Will keep the idea for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is from the Family Fun Magazine right? We made these and it was fun, but a bit more water was needed to make them stable.

    ReplyDelete