Chasing Cheerios

Monday, January 9, 2012

Fabric Scrap Paper Doll Kit

I was pretty excited to find  this Fabric Scrap Paper Doll Kit  (I added another link for the printable dolls at the bottom of this post) idea via Pinterest a couple of months before Christmas.  I put together a set for my girls and my niece.  The girls and I have had lots of fun with it so far.

I put the kit in these Christmas suitcases that I bought at Hobby Lobby after Christmas last year.  As soon as I can find a replacement suitcase, I'll switch the kit out, so that I can use this suitcase for something Christmasy next year.





Within the suitcase are several bags of scraps...fabric scraps, ribbon scraps, and yarn scraps.





 I printed the dolls on cardstock and cut them to fit in the suitcase.  I also included 2 pairs of scissors, 4 glue sticks, and a bag of buttons (for my button loving girls!).





This morning E(2) asked for "the suitcase work," and she got right to work after we opened the suitcase and bags.  She loves to cut the fabric, yarn, and paper.  She likes to place the fabric on the dolls and occasionally glues it down.  Usually, she just rearranges over and over and over again and never actually finishes a doll :)













This is the perfect kit to take when you have time to kill and space to spread out and make an easy to clean-up mess.  The girls and I had to go with Elliott to work on Saturday, so I grabbed this kit on the way out the door.   Thank goodness I did!  We were at his office for 2 and a half hours, and we worked on our dolls almost the entire time...perfectly content in our creativity!





I have to admit that I've enjoyed this kit as much as the girls have.  It's so much fun to play and create with my girls.






Evidently, she needs lips!  O(5) added thick pink yarn for her lips :)






Here is my finished doll.






E just couldn't decide what she wanted her boy to wear.






This is one of the easiest "handmade" gifts that I've ever put together!  And it's fun for all ages!  Here's another link to more printable dolls...click here.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, I used to do the same thing when I was little. Now I have to pass the tradition on to my daughter :) Thanks for bringing up sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the patterns you showed in your blog better than the templete you linked your readers to. Would you share your templete? Especially the "girl" one. Thank you! (lantz4@cox.net)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea. My little girl has been asking me about using fabric for her paper dolls, and my brain completely froze on how to do it. Thank you for sharing, I know she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get the paper doll prints. so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this! My daughter loves paper dolls and I love the idea of them cutting clothes and decorating them so creatively. I'm going to set up their sewing basket with this,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is the website to get these exact free paper doll download. http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/6/10/1953985//scrap_paper_doll_download.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great quiet activity! I would love for you to come share it at my link party for all activities contained- trays, boxes, bins and bags :) I am a follower of your blog and would love for you to follow me back too :)

    http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-on-tray-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a LOVELY IDEA!!! I never seen this before!!! Can you beleive it??, you will see our dolls soon!!! Thank you Melisa for your SUPER ideas!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. My grand daughter who will be 2 in March loves "projects" Not sure she is ready for scissors yet, but the rest is fun. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete