Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Contact Paper & Tissue Paper Collage



After the success of O's recent texture collage on contact paper, I decided we'd try a tissue paper collage again( we did this about a year ago and had lots of fun). In order to set this up, I had to move O's texture collage...

I had no idea what I was in for! Just a little advice...if you have a 2 and half year old who is totally immersed in her sensitive period for order, has had 4 days of disrupted naps and bedtimes due to a vacation, and it's 9 o'clock at night, don't move her artwork! O was DEVASTATED that I moved her artwork! I felt bad about it, and she eventually calmed down and we came to a solution that we were both happy with, but wow! If I'd known how devastating this would be, I would have waited until she was asleep to move it (she wouldn't have minded first thing in the morning after a good night's sleep).

Phew! Anyway...I taped 2 sheets of contact paper on the sliding glass door, 1 for O and 1 for my niece. Today while my sister and I were fixing lunch, I gave them a bag full of leftover tissue paper and told them to tear and place the paper to make a collage. They really enjoyed themselves, but O left her artwork before she covered her paper completely, and M took over! She was really into this activity!


7 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the beautiful work that a toddler can create. They did a fabulous job!

    I've wanted to try tissue paper in mosaic form with the contact paper. I might try doing that next with my little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contact paper collage is a great activity. We do it a lot and I love your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a grand old time a few days ago with tissue paper and contact paper. See http://alittlegnocchi.blogspot.com/2009/04/puritanical-modesty-meets-eric-carle.html
    One afternoon we tore up the tissue paper, the next we put it on the contact paper and then put another sheet of contact paper over it to preserve it. My two year old daughter then helped as we taped it up to the window in the bathroom. She sits in the bath and points to it saying "Ila do that, Mummy do that, Auntie Ann do that" We have some bits left over, I think I'm going to cut them up and make a mobile out of them to hang in her window. Even though she didn't cut the shapes (when is the right age to introduce her to scissors?) she still recognizes this as her art which is nice. Have to go buy some food coloring or maybe do a little onion painting of eggs this weekend. Love the salad spinner paint idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost forgot the very reason I came to post a comment. Thank you, the textured collage post was what made me go get the contact paper for our tissue paper mania. Love O's Tissue Collage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture on this collage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be a perfect project for my toddler art class... so glad I saw it here. Thanks as always for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete