Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Salad Spinner Art




Hooray! We finally made salad spinner art! This activity has been on my to-do list since last summer, but I didn't have a salad spinner. Last week when we were at Guh-guh and Grandpa's house, we borrowed my sister's salad spinner for the activity.



O enjoyed the activity, but my almost 5 year old niece LOVED this activity! I think she would have continued making art for hours and hours if we hadn't had to stop for lunch.


 

We used food coloring since my sister plans to use her salad spinner for salad eventually. We learned that the food coloring spreads better if you use only one color at a time and quickly put the top on and spin it. Otherwise, the food coloring soaks into the paper too much and won't spread as you spin the salad spinner.



9 comments:

  1. That is so cool! We don't have a salad spinner either. But when I as a little kid I had a toy that did that same thing, sort of... I forget what it was called, but you put paint and paper on a plate thing, and the plate somehow spun around and made a swirly design on the paper! I might try to find it for Litle Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a salad spinner on my thrifting/dumpster diving/yard sale wish list for MONTHS just because of this project! I'm almost to the point in which I'm going to start using our good salad spinner and then thrift for a replacement for THAT one.

    Other items on my wish list: red plaid thermos like Papa used to have, Fiesta ware, step aerobics bench, medical dictionaries...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you used food coloring in the borrowed salad spinner. I was about to go "Uh oh"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea but how did you keep the food coloring from splattering all over the outside? I would be tempted to do that in the sink?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my list of things to do too. I know my children will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to send all my kids to you for some arts and crafts, it looks like you are always having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna- The food coloring spattered all over the outside bowl, but it wasn't a problem. I just rinsed it out in the sink. However, the cheapo salad spinner that I just bought has holes in the bottom, so I think I'll just line it with aluminum foil or something that is easily rinsable :)

    Ali- Send them over! I know O would love all of your girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just procured a salad spinner--my Mom has been scouring thrift stores for me since I saw this activity on your blog.

    The one we found is really nice--it's shaped like a pitcher, not a large bowl.

    Hopefully it will work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great activity for this coming summer together with the kids. They enjoy playing but they are learning especially art. Will do this with my niece and my kids when we visit on my mom's house.

    ReplyDelete