Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Letter Fishing




O and I went fishing for letters in her rice pit this morning! Unfortunately, the magnets on the letters aren't that strong, so they only worked if they were turned upside down, and it was a little frustrating for O. We took turns fishing for a letter, and we then named the sound, letter, and listed words that start with the letter. After playing for 5 to 10 minutes, O was ready to put the letters away and play with her rice pit toys. The rice pit is one of her FAVORITE things!

7 comments:

  1. How do you keep the bugs out? It's on your screened in porch right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a sand box on our back patio that is just sand in a big plastic tub (with a cover). I've added different treasures to it (rocks, beads, small toys). I can drag the tub around to different places on the concrete if I need to.

    Love your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I really enjoy reading your blog :)

    I was wondering if you've tried attaching a stronger magnet to the fishing pole - even a strong kitchen magnet, attached to the end of the line with an elastic band for easy removal might do the trick to attract the weaker letter magnets...

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get a new container for the rice pit? It looks smaller? What is the cover made out of? I don't have a screened in porch but I am determined to have a rice pit some how. What if you used those green turtle sand pits with the cover? would that keep out bugs and moisture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the same rice pit. I think the angle from which I took the picture makes it look a little smaller. The top is similar to a tarp that closes tightly over the rice pit with bands. We've never had any problems with bugs, and the only time we had trouble with moisture was when I left the top off and rain blew in. A green turtle sand pit would probably work, but I'm not sure how tightly the covers fit on the turtle...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was from me. Somehow I was signed in as my mom :)

    ReplyDelete