Chasing Cheerios

Friday, December 5, 2008

Our Simple Christmas Tree

Elliott and I are not very enthusiastic decorators for holidays, which makes things much simpler and,for us, more enjoyable (since we don't enjoy decorating). We have a 4 foot hand-me-down pre-lit (with colored lights) tree that we LOVE. It's easy to store and super quick and easy to set up. O was excited, and she loves the tree, too. I started to feel a little guilty that we don't go all out with decorations, but then I remembered that O's Guh-guh and Granpa decorate enough for all of us, so I don't have to feel guilty at all :) She (and we) can enjoy their decorations, and we can also enjoy our simplicity! Since our tree is so small and our storage space is so limited, we are simplifying even more. As we were decorating the tree, I was culling ornaments from our stash. We kept the handmade ornaments, ornaments from our travels, ornaments with special significance, and the ones that we just really like. All of the rest have to go! I think that about half of the ornaments that we own went in the donate box :) Hurray! We're also getting rid of most of the decorations that we own unless we absolutely love them. I really want the vast majority of our decorations to be handmade, so the first step is getting rid of the store bought stuff. Then I've got to get to work!

Elliott was at the computer trying to find Christmas music to play when O requested "ap" music. Ell put on "you dropped the bomb on me" (not "ap" but still danceable) and cranked up the volume. O loved every second of it (and hopefully our neighbors also like 80s music!). They danced and danced and our decorating was a bit delayed :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

She's a nonstop dancer!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Ummm...did somebody teach her to break dance?

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Still dancing! O was much more interested in dancing and then popping the bubbles on bubble wrap than in decorating the tree :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

3 comments:

  1. How funky! :0) I think that O and your mom must get up to some breakdancin' when you're not there, lol.

    Oh, this I fund and thought of you, it is a UK site but I thought you might like to take a look :0)

    http://www.treeblocks.co.uk/category.asp?catID=35

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun! I am not much of a decorator either! We go to my parents for Christmas and get to enjoy someone else's decorating skills! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too just recently went through my ornaments again. I have pretty much the same criteria for keeping them. I have started collecting ornaments for little one. I pick up one or two ornaments for her during the year and we hang those on the tree and take pictures. When the tree comes down, her ornaments get stored separately. Each ornament goes in it's own bag with an index card about the ornament (where and when it was purchased and a short blurb about the significance).

    ReplyDelete