Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Snowflake Window Clings

Our 6th advent activity was to make snowflake window clings using glitter glue. This activity was a dismal failure! The *idea* came from Family Fun magazine, but I didn't follow the directions :( I usually prefer to make up my own directions, and this time it backfired :) To make the window clings I spread out my version of wax paper (an unfolded, washed cereal box bag. I use this every time anything calls for wax paper!), and we squeezed the glitter glue onto the sheet in different designs. O was curious about the activity and helped make the designs for the first minute or so. Then she had a VERY unpleasant look on her face, and her nose was scrunched up. She declared that the glue "stinks!" She stood behind me holding her nose and wanted nothing more to do with the activity. O has an extremely keen sense of smell, so I figured I'd be able to smell the glue in 10 minutes or so. I was right, and so was she. It REALLY stank! I was a little shocked by the horrible smell, and Elliott was horrified :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

I was able to convince O to come back to the table briefly, and I traced her hand with the glue. She'll usually participate in anything if it involves tracing or painting her hands :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

You might can tell that the snowflakes turned hard and do not stick to the window at all. However, she can play with them since the smell is gone :) I know I read somewhere that you can use glue to make window clings, but evidently I used the wrong kind! I guess I'll follow the directions next time :)

4 comments:

  1. I really think fabric paint does a LOT better for window clings than glue because it's more flexible, and you can totally get the glittery kind. When I do this, I make them on foil. Sorry it didn't turn out! That's always such a bummer! Better luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame they didn't work as intended but I still think they look great. I would attach some ribbon to the top and use them as tree decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used fabric paint/puffy paint and it works really well.

    ReplyDelete