Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Painted Glass Ornaments

For our 3rd day of activities, we painted glass ornaments. This idea came from Parenting magazine. Although our ornaments don't look anything like theirs! To make these ornaments, we used empty glass balls and took the tops off. We then squeezed acrylic craft paint into the balls. O chose the colors, and we squeezed the paint into the ball together. I tried to get her to swirl and shake the balls, but she wasn't interested. She was ready to move to the next color! This was a good lesson in being very careful since these ornaments are VERY breakable (I broke a tiny piece of glass off of the top of one of the ornaments when I put the top back on).

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

We are very proud of our little works of art!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

The ornaments continued to change as the paint moved through them overnight. I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get home today :)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

12 comments:

  1. ohhh these are LOVELY.
    I wonder where I can get my hands on some ornaments so we can do it too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I will have to try this as my daughter gets a little older.

    Your ornaments turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of doing a different craft activity for each day of the advent calendar - how creative! Also, I can't wait to try making these ornaments at my house... maybe at school, too!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. we do this every year i keep 3 one for each girl to take when they get married and one for me and the rest go to family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute, I love these. I went to Michael's tonight and picked up some ornaments to use--they were 50% off! ($2.50, I think). Thanks for yet another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are beautiful! They'd look great year around in the windows of a child's bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great ideas! We are doing something similar, but with not as many crafts for my 1 yr old little guy. So far we've colored wooden reindeer masks and tomorrow we will be making a handprint wreath. The days without crafts in our advent calendar have little finger puppets or art supplies. Making the ornaments is definitely going to be added to our calendar! And I love your nativity scene! Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are gorgeous.. I have seen this idea before but those clear balls are very hard to find in Australia.. I havent seen any so far

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your advent activities.
    We recently made similar ornaments as well using glitter paint and then fingerprint/thumbprint designs on the outside. I just posted some pictures on my blog.
    I was able to find plastic ornaments at Michaels if you need any more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yours look great! I can't wait until my crew tackles this one in a few days. I picked up the ornaments today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this too last X-mas. Mine did not work out-the paint just ran back to the bottom of the ornament. Do you have any suggestions to make the paint stay? They looked really cool at first, but after a couple days they ran down. You're advice would be appreciated. I did use acrylic paint too. Maybe a special kind of acrylic?? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete