Chasing Cheerios

Friday, July 11, 2008

Homemade Pizza Night

I'm trying to get back into the routine of having homemade pizza for supper on Friday nights. I couldn't find the recipe that I've used in the past, so my friend, Becca, sent me her recipe. I decided to share it since the pizza was DELICIOUS. Since we don't eat red meat, we always make vegetarian pizzas and the bell pepper and tomatoes from our garden were delicious on it. We usually have leftovers, but we ate the whole thing tonight. Here it is:

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (do not substitute flours - must be exact)

1 Cup Water (80 degrees) I just use hot water & don’t check temp.2 TBL Oil (I use Olive Oil)1 TBL Sugar1 tsp Salt1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour1 ½ Cups Bread Flour 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast

Select Pizza Dough Course if your machine has one.

Dough takes about an hour in my machine.

Place finished dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide in half and press onto a 12 inch pizza pan raising the edges. (Very Thin crust) -

Sprinkle the pan with a little cornmeal. It keeps the dough from sticking to the pan and gives the crust a little more texture. I use about a teaspoon and a half if that much.

Generously prick the dough with a fork. Rub a little olive oil all over the pizza especially the raised edges.

Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 10 minutes.
Take out when the edges of the crust begin to turn a light golden brown.
Remove, add toppings and return to oven to bak and additional 15 - 20 minutes.

Yikes! I just read the recipe a little closer after I pasted it from my email, and I really didn't follow the directions. Oops! I put the toppings on right after I coated it with the olive oil, then I cooked it for about 15 minutes. This worked GREAT, but I might try the real directions next time :) Also, I didn't have any cornmeal, so I used whole wheat flour on my pizza stone. In the past, I've preheated the pizza stone but I didn't tonight because its so hard to transfer the pizza to a hot pizza stone. I was afraid that the crust would not be crispy, but it was perfect. The best thing about it is that I have enough dough left over, so we'll have pizza again Sunday night :)

3 comments:

  1. This looks yummy. I can't wait until our garden veggies are ready.

    Also, I love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so glad you liked it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great, Becca! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete